Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stinging Nettles

I am a Farmer's Market groupie.  Every Saturday I get to one of my favorite markets as early as possible from May through November so I'm super excited the market season has begun.  I bought three lacinato kale plants, leafy green lettuce babies, and swiss chard to plant in our EarthBoxes which live on the garage roof.

Last year I noticed stinging nettles for sale but didn't buy any because I was reticent about eating something that could sting me.  I purchased a bunch on Saturday!  Made a frittata using the nettles and leeks (they're in season too) and some smoked gouda cheese.  The eggs were from Blanch, a colleague's hen, and had the yellowist yokes I've ever seen.  It was unbelievably good and I didn't get stung once!  Nettles are only available in early Spring and are chock full of nutrients - potassium, Vitamin A, C, and iron, to name a few.  Try stinging nettles...if you dare!

If you buy your food in season and local all of your senses and especially your taste buds will be jumping for joy.  Find your local farmer's market and try a vegetable or fruit that's new to you.  You'll be glad for the adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment