Thursday, April 11, 2013

Are you cheating on yourself?

It's now four months after January 1st; are your New Year's resolutions a distant memory?  Maybe you are thinking of trying something new this spring to really get into shape before the summer?

Before you head out and try the next new studio or exercise program, check in with yourself.  If you didn't meet your New Year's goals, ask yourself why?  Not enough time?  It wasn't hard enough?  It was too hard?  Before you jump into a new endeavor, make sure you know what your goals are, and make sure you set realistic expectations about how to meet them.  If you didn't have enough time to get to the gym/treadmill/studio the last few months, what is different now?

I have found that "losing five pounds" or "toning up" isn't a realistic goal; what does that mean?  And how does it motivate me to get to the gym/treadmill/studio?  I am currently picturing an exercise I want to master -- all the "warm up" and core strengthening is getting me closer to that mastery.  And along the way I have found other smaller goals I've achieved, which makes me more enthusiastic about getting to the studio!

So don't cheat yourself; set a realistic goal and go out and make it happen!  You are the only one who can!!


No comments:

Post a Comment