Monday, August 5, 2013

What really makes us happy?



I recently came across an article that piqued my interest in the aisle at the grocery store: "What Happy People Do Differently."  Curious, I perused the article.  And it turns out my instinct to do just that, be curious, is one of the things that makes me a happy person - truly happy, not just a little high on dopamine.

It seems being curious makes you more open to risk, and only by doing new (read: risky) things can we achieve higher "psychological peaks."

Curious people generally accept the notion that while being uncomfortable and vulnerable is not an easy path, it is the most direct route to becoming stronger and wiser.
Cool - I like stronger and wiser.  It seems you have to be willing to risk being hurt/embarrassed/wrong/pick-a-negative-feeling-here (and therefore sometimes really feeling those nasty things) to really understand being happy.

Interested?  Curious?  Check out the article here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201306/what-happy-people-do-differently



No comments:

Post a Comment