Thursday, August 22, 2013

If you 'fail' a diet, who has really failed?

 I recently read an interesting article written by a former weight loss consultant to all her previous clients.  It's an apology letter.  The writer feels that she was part of a vicious cycle that makes women feel like failures for not being able to lose weight on restrictive diets that are actually designed to keep weight fluctuating.  I thought it was a powerful piece and I loved her conclusion,
Weight Loss
"None of you ever failed. Ever. I failed you. The weight loss company failed you. Our society is failing you.  Just eat food. Eat real food, be active, and live your life. Forget all the diet and weight loss nonsense. It's really just that. Nonsense."

I liked the writer's honesty and vulnerability in admitting that she was wrong to tell women who didn't need to lose weight that they still should.  It's easy to get caught up in the cycle of comparison and body shame and this was a good reminder to me to keep my focus inward.  We all want to look good, but driving ourselves nuts over an unachievable beauty standard isn't going to make us happy.  Be active, be kind to yourself, feel strong in your body and you will want to nourish it with healthful foods.

If you're interested, check out the original article here:   An Open Apology

No comments:

Post a Comment