Monday, July 1, 2013

Random Acts



On my way to the studio yesterday, I stopped as an older man shuffling with a cane crossed the street in front of me.  He stumbled on a small stone - he was walking with a cane - and fell headlong into the middle of the street.  As I pulled over slightly so I could jump out of the car to help, I was pleasantly surprised to watch every pedestrian anywhere near the intersection swarm over to help him!  By the time I'd gotten out of my car, three big guys had helped him up, and three other folks were brushing off a small bench space for him to sit.  Someone called for help, and several people waited with him until an ambulance came to take over.  Fortunately the gentleman was not seriously hurt, and he seemed so grateful for the help and attention.  The whole group was soon laughing and sharing amusing stories of the smaller dangers of Chicago's streets - friendly neighbors chatting on the stoop of a local storefront.

Living in the city, we sometimes walk by each other without any notice - wrapped up in our busy lives we may appear indifferent at best as we rush around our neighborhoods.  I was so inspired to see how quickly people rallied around this gentleman!  It reminds me that in addition to the big and obvious moments, we can also help each other with smaller random acts.   Greeting passers-by with a smile rather than a scowl could lift a mood and shift a stranger's entire day.  It's the state of mind we strive to embody and share at Urbancore.

Pass it on...

No comments:

Post a Comment