Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pilates and Travel



I will be taking a short trip this weekend (yay!), which means time spent in cars, on planes, and on public transit.  Whenever I travel, I try to use what I've learned in Pilates training to recover after a trip.

Back when I was traveling for work, the first thing I'd do when arriving at the hotel was to lie on the floor and do some bridges, toe taps, and basic stretches to get my abs warmed up and my back relaxed after being compressed for so long.  I try to make sure I work in some spinal flexion (such as chest curls) as well as some spinal extension (swan pose).  I also want to add a little spinal rotation in the mix (spine twist or saw would be good examples) to make sure I'm moving the spine in all the planes of motion.  It's amazing what some good stretching and a little muscle warm up can do to get me going again after feeling crunched for a trip.

Anyone else have some go-to moves for relaxing after a long flight or car ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment