Sunday, June 16, 2013

Can We Influence What We Crave?

There has been a lot of talk around the studio lately about food, habits, and cravings; and it has gotten me thinking about the power we have over our own needs.  I certainly haven't conducted an exhaustive search, but the research I've found, as well as my own personal experience, leads me to believe we actually have quite a bit of influence over what we think of as overpowering cravings.

I know you've all been wondering what I have for breakfast every morning, so I will use that as a prime example.  Until recently, I was quite fond of a big bowl of cereal with blueberries as my morning repast.  I was getting some protein from milk, some carbs from cereal, and some good sugar and antioxidants from berries; all in all not the worst breakfast out there.  Unfortunately, as much as I looked forward to this meal (which was quite a lot), I often found myself hungry again only a few short hours later.  So, time for a change! 

Source: Wall Street Journal
A few weeks ago, I began making green smoothies for breakfast and lunch and saving solid foods for dinner and snacks (I'm basically a toddler when it comes to food now).  I've been making and drinking green smoothies for years, but never as my entire breakfast meal.  I expected this change to be difficult as I always thought I needed something more substantial in the mornings, but it hasn't been hard at all.  In fact, I find myself feeling more full and satisfied longer than when I was eating more.  I've been experimenting with recipes and found a lot of luck with adding peanut butter to give my smoothies a protein boost.

I wanted to share this story, not because my food is fascinating, but because I was shocked at how quickly I was able to completely eliminate what I used to see as a huge food craving in my routine.  I wonder what else I could change?

No comments:

Post a Comment