Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mat Class + Scapular Stabilization

The Monday night mat class has a good following. Many of the regulars have been coming for weeks. This week we worked on scapular stabilization in the plank (forward and side) and tricep push ups.

Getting ones scapula in a strong position is forever challenging. In my own practice, Annie is constantly cueing me to broaden my shoulders, corset my trunk to support my scaps, and RELAX my upper traps.  It's exhausting me just typing this!!

In your practice, visualize the scaps as the center of a trampoline with each bungee cord of a muscle keeping it in a centered spot behind your collar bone. Keeping your shoulders strong and flexible may prevent degenerative rotator cuff tears as your body ages.  Pilates will help your body stay youthful.


j r eyerman 
multiple exposure shot of a gymnast jumping on a trampoline
AllPosters.com


No comments:

Post a Comment