Thursday, December 20, 2012

Lower Abdominal Activation

What are they?  Where are they? How do I get them to work when I'm lifting weights? What are the best cues for me?  Why are they important?

1. Think transverse abdominus (TA).
2. It has two sides which bring together a portion of the fascia from your back to your lower ribs down to the pubic bone and along the front edge of your pelvis.
3. Have your pelvic floor lift or as Annie tries to get me to remember, "Lengthen the lumbar vertebra while keeping the tuck out of my pelvis!"
4. Lift your pelvic floor.  Corset your waist from the pelvis to the tip of your breast bone.  Relax or widen your sit bones.
5. Obviously it is the pelvic stability it provides.  Since you practice pilates you know why that's important.  Personally, I can feel the difference when I'm lifting weights (not heavy) if my TA is working and I must concentrate to make it work in concert with my spine stabilizers.

You won't feel the work in your
low back if you get your TA to activate!

Once you get it you will feel lighter when practicing exercises such as squats or heel taps.  Give your instructor feedback on which cues resonate with your during your session.  Keep practicing and you will get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment