Monday, October 14, 2013

Interval training rocks!

admit, I used to be one of those people who spent hours on the lakefront running.  Steady state cardio (heartrate remains elevated at the same level for a certain period of time) worked for me.  But then as I got deeper into my 40s, I noticed that my body was not as lean as it had been in years past.  My theory is that my body was used to the running and learned how to not burn as much fuel.  Oh and there was this other small issue.  My knees hurt!  And my hips were always tight.  And my hamstrings, low back.....shall I go on?

That said, if you run and are pain free, definitely go for it. I get the appeal! I have loads of friends who say "it's my thing".  But if you are like me and still want to get your cardio fix in (I have no choice as it keeps my genetically high cholesterol levels down), try tabata or interval training.  Research proves that you can boost your metabolic rate 36 hours longer with 30 minutes of interval strength training versus 60 minutes of a classic, steady state cardio program. The result is a long, lean, calorie burning body.  I am proof - my cholesterol has been at a healthy level and my joints feel so much better being supported by lean muscle without all that impact. I spend about 2 hours a week over the course of 4-5 workouts doing interval training, not 5-6+ hours running.

Here are some great examples.  You can take these on the road, do them at home or join our cardio sculpt class for a live version!

1. Gliders. Planks, pushups, mountain climbers (below), hamstring curls.....the list goes on.  You must do these slowly. You also don't need to pull your knee in as close as the model (I think it's more challenging and safer if you stop under the hip socket). Try paper plates on carpet if you don't have gliders.
 http://media3.onsugar.com/files/2013/03/13/1/192/1922729/56129bdb4c724101_valslide.xxxlarge.jpg

2. Stability Ball Planks.  Just the plank hold is tough. For added work, move your arms forward an inch and back an inch (slowly!). This can also be done on the floor.

 http://www.fitbie.com/sites/default/files/stability-ball-plank-ex_0.jpg

3. Squat jumps.  Notice her knees stay centered over the foot, butt back. If you have trouble keeping your spine neutral, lower your arms.



http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/0607_plyo_squat_jump.jpg



4. Skater. Lateral movement/jump, landing on your whole, single foot.  Works the outside of the glute and hip.  Stay low for more work.  Keep your chest above your hips, don't round your spine and just like the squat jump, don't over-flex the knee.

http://www.fitbie.com/sites/default/files/speed-skater-ex.jpg


5. Jumping Jacks.  An oldie but a goodie.  If you want more, keep low in a squat while you jack.  Keep your feet parallel to each other!

 http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/bootcamp-jumping-jack.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment